Catherine Robb is of counsel in the Business Litigation Practice Group in the Austin office of Haynes and Boone, LLP. Catherine represents clients in the broadcast industry. Her practice is focused on commercial and business litigation, First Amendment litigation, pre-publication review and editing, copyright and trademark litigation, general commercial litigation, open government issues and privacy concerns. She advises clients concerning media law issues for an extensive array of content providers including online and traditional newspapers, magazines, radio and broadcasters, cable television stations, production companies and music entities.
Selected Client Representations
- McClain v. USA Today Newspaper, 2010 WL 2404651 (Tex. App. - Dallas 2010).
- Rosenfeld v. Twentieth Century Fox Film Corp., 37 Med. L. Rptr. 1348 (C.D. Cal. 2009).
- In re BP Products North America Inc., 263 S.W.3d 117 (Tex. App. - Hou. [1st Dist.] 2006, no pet.).
Selected Publications and Speeches
- "Lawsuits Over Political Ads Raise Questions Over Defamation," interviewee, KVUE News, May 2012.
- "Beyond Thunderdome: The Internet and Social media get Political," KVUE News, May 2012.
- "Strategies for Efficiently and Economically Winning a Media Case," co-author, ABA/TIPS Media Newsletter, Spring 2011.
- Reporter's Privilege Compendium, co-author, The Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press, 2010.
- "Local Non-Profit Threatened with Lawsuit Over Documentary Showing," Interviewee, KVUE News, April 2010.
- "Golly, I Just Got Fined by the FCC Again!" Sedgwick's Media Law Bulletin, January 2009.
- "What the $#*& is up with the fleeting expletives (and fleeting images)?” co-author, State Bar of Texas - 18th Annual Entertainment Law Institute, October 2-3, 2008.
- Received the "Austin Under 40 Community Service Award," the Austin Young Men's Business League and Austin Young Women's Alliance, 2007
- American Bar Association, Women in Communications Law Committee, member
- State Bar of Texas, appointed member of the Judicial Relations Committee, 2001-2004 and 2008-2009
- The First Amendment Institute's First Amendment Leadership Program graduate, 2002
- The University of Texas' Commission of 125 and Service to Society Committee, member, 2002-2004
- American Inns of Court - Lloyd Lochridge Inn
- Austin Film Society, board member, Former Board President
- Ann Richards School for Young Women Leaders, board member 2006-2012, Former Board Vice-Chair
- Austin Music Foundation, board member, 2004-2010
- Humanities Texas, board member
- LBJ Library Future Forum, founder and chairman
- Austin's PBS Channel, KLRU, vice-chair and board member, Austin City Limits Committee member
- Mayor's Health and Fitness Council, board member
- Sargent Shriver National Center on Poverty Law, board member, 2004-2011
- American Heart Association (Capital Area Division), board member, 2003-2009
- University of Texas School of Undergraduate Studies, advisory council, 2012-present
- LBJ School of Public Affairs, advisory council, 2011-present
- Texas Exes Council Member, 2012-present
- Leadership Austin, member and 2003 Graduate
- The Seton Forum
- Reading is Fundamental of Austin, volunteer
- Volunteer Legal Services, volunteer
- Trinity Center, volunteer